Friday, October 2, 2009

Weekend Update (comments .... Take 6)

Common types of networks video
I had to watch the video quite a few times to figure out if Mr. Relativity actually said anything of substance. This is one instance where a Wikipedia article would actually suffice instead of this. All he did in the video was define what PAN, LAN, WAN, CAN, and MAN are. In this situation I feel like a simple list of definitions would suffice rather than an obviously nervous man telling me on Youtube. In some cases he starts to almost make a point but then stops and tries to segue into the next network. I think the Norbert would agree with me, this was almost... interesting...

Local Area Network
I am glad I watched the video on Youtube before I read this article. If one were to combine the video and article into one presentation, it would be perfect. This article breaks down the history of LAN (ps. one of the first networks codenamed "Octopus". awesome) and offers deeper information about local area networks. Who knew there were that many companies competing for the actual LAN programming and even the cables used. It''s nice to see another company other than Microsoft coming out with something that turns out to be the standard.

Computer Networks
The grandaddy of them all. This article is like the Rose Bowl of Wikipedia computer network articles. It encompasses all phases of any network. Depending on how you read the articles, this would either be new or repeated information. But where this differs from all the other articles is it has more information regarding the the other aspects of computer networks. After reading this WIkipedia page it made the newest CSI: NY episode make a lot more sense. The killer was using technology to commit murders and the CSI's were using the technical jargon of switches, hubs, bridges, IP, etc. I got what they were trying to say and what the killer was actually doing through some pretty nice animations, but now I get the actual and technical aspect of it.

RFID in Libraries
Karen Coyle brings up the problem of privacy with RFID chips, but I don't understand what the actual problem would be? The library would have RFID scanners to scan the book to make it easier on librarians and patrons. At what point is privacy invaded? The library already has all of the information on the borrow because of a library card so why would it matter that you can just walk out of the library with your books and just by pass the whole check out process? RFIDs will make things easier, which I am all for.

Muddiest Point

(see RFID chips)

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you with the privacy issue in regards to the RFID article. I was confused as to what the privacy issues would be also. She mentions it a couple of times in the article but never expounds upon it. I don't see the library having to collect anymore information off of anybody that they don't already need for library checkout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also confused about the privacy issues. What about them makes them need more information than a bar code uses? Maybe I'm missing something or just don't get the technology, but I don't see how it differs from what we already have.

    ReplyDelete