Friday, November 13, 2009

Weekly Comments

David Hawking , Web Search Engines

So even Google let me down on this one. I could not get access to part 1 or 2, it kept referring me back to the current issue of Computer magazine.

Shreeves et al.

This is a fine example of academic writing at it's best. I could not get past the abstract and I was already lost. The abstract was full of run on sentences and I couldn't make heads or tails of the whole OAI data providers sentence. After reading the article as far as I can tell is that the whole Open Archives Initiatives Protocol for Metadata Harvesting turns out to be a big ado in the world of metadata tagging.

Bergman - The Deep Web

This was a really interesting article explaining how the web and search engines work. It basically explained how search engines work and the different protocols different engines work. It almost reinforces that only so much of the Web is actually used. Basically the 80/20 rule all over again.


1 comment:

  1. You did not miss much on the Web Search Engines article. It was pretty much just a retelling of articles we have already read about how search engines work and how they find and tag information so it is easy to find/search.

    ReplyDelete